Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Esperar.

My new favorite word is a Spanish one. It is Esperar. It's definition means to hope; to expect. What a beautiful word & idea. For me this has almost a magical appeal. Not only does it mean to dream, but to expect those dreams to come true. If only we could live that way everyday, can you imagine the possibilities? We would be unstoppable. And the most exquisite part about it is that this way of thinking could be, and is, available to all of us, all of the time. In English hope is having faith, which is utterly important & usually has a positive connotation to it. To expect is to consider likely or certain; to consider obligatory or require. Expect doesn't necessarily boast a positive or negative meaning. What if we could mix our faith with anticipation? Well the outcome would most certainly be one of great pleasure and splendor. And we find that lovely little fusion in the magnificent word Esperar.


"Language is a skin: I rub my language against the other. It is
as if I had words instead of fingers, or fingers at the tip of my words. My language trembles with desire."

-Roland Barthes



No comments:

Post a Comment